Yes, you can use Oculus Quest 2 lying down. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Guardian tracking will be disabled. This means that you will not be able to see the boundaries of your play area, so it is important to be careful not to bump into anything.
- The viewing angle may be limited. Depending on how you are lying down, you may not be able to see the entire VR environment.
- Some games and apps may not be compatible with lying down. Make sure to check the compatibility requirements before you start playing.
Here are some tips for using Oculus Quest 2 lying down:
- Use a soft surface. Lying on a hard surface can be uncomfortable, so it is best to use a soft surface like a bed or couch.
- Use a pillow. A pillow can help to support your neck and head, which can make it more comfortable to lie down for long periods of time.
- Adjust the headset. Make sure that the headset is properly adjusted so that it is not too tight or too loose.
- Take breaks. It is important to take breaks every 20-30 minutes when using VR, even if you are not lying down. This will help to prevent eye strain and motion sickness.
Virtual reality is the new boom. You just put on the glasses, and voilà – you’re instantly transported into a new dimension. In just 15 minutes, we take the role of the game character and tackle every quest before us, explore new worlds, or win titles.
But all of this usually needs a lot of space. And what if you want to simply relax but still play? With the new Oculus Quest 2, users have the option to use the VR set while lying down. It might seem a bit tricky, but it’s quite simple and easy to use.
However, there are a few safety notes and tips to mind when using the glasses. Keep reading to see what these are!
How to Use the Oculus Quest 2 Lying Down
If you want to use the Oculus Quest 2 to watch videos while lying down, all you have to do is get comfortable. Just jump on the couch, put on the glasses, recenter your view to the ceiling by holding down the Oculus button on the right controller, pick your show, and enjoy.
But, if you want to use the glasses for a game, you should follow the steps below to adjust the horizontal game mode:
- Turn the headset on.
- Adjust the floor level to the actual floor. This way, you will be taller in the VR world and thus use all controls and interact with all available items.
- Set up a room-scale frame around your couch or bed.
- Lay down.
- Use the Oculus Button on the Right controller to adjust your perspective.
How to Set up the Lying Down Position
One simple method to adjust the gameplay to a lying position is to manually lower the floor lever on the guardian/floor setup. So, power the headset and adjust it accordingly in the Settings option.
Additionally, to complete the “horizontal VR gameplay”, you can use another method – trick the headset. How? If you’re on the second floor, go down to the first – the idea is to go to a level that is lower than where you plan on playing.
Basically, you move one of the controllers to a lower location when configuring the guardian, particularly when establishing the floor level (compared to your play area). Hold onto the other controller as you return to your playing area and finish the floor adjustment setup.
With this hack, you manipulate the Oculus Quest 2 to assume the floor level is lower than it actually is because one of the controllers is lower than the actual play area. This allows you to appear taller in games.
Try using this approach to determine the height and playability balance that works best for the game you wish to play.
Discover which VR headset, the Quest 2 or Valve Index, suits your gaming needs and preferences best.
How to watch Netflix on your Oculus Quest 2 Lying Down?
To watch Netflix while lying down on your Oculus Quest 2, follow these steps:
- Turn on your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset.
- From the Oculus Home menu, access Netflix. You can do this by using the Oculus Browser or other available methods to access the Netflix website or app.
- Once you’re in Netflix, choose the “Void Theater” option. This will create a virtual theater-like environment for your viewing experience.
- Position yourself comfortably on your bed or couch.
- To reorient the screen to your desired viewing angle, you can use the touchpad or controls on your Oculus Quest 2. This will allow you to adjust the screen to your preferred angle while lying down.
- Select the show or movie you want to watch on Netflix.
- Enjoy your Netflix content while lying down in a comfortable position.
This way, you can watch Netflix in a relaxed and comfortable posture, making your viewing experience more enjoyable.
Is it a Good Idea?
In short, yes. If you use the horizontal position while playing and have adjusted it right, you can appear taller in the VR environment, meaning you can use all the given features. Namely, you’ll have more control over multiple virtual items as the game set expands.
If you’re worried about the side effects you might experience when using the headset horizontally, there are a few light ones. For example, when you take them out, you might feel a bit dizzy at the beginning, especially if you play longer. If you start feeling uncomfortable during your play, stop the game and take a moment to relax away from the “screen”.
Best Games For Playing While Lying Down
Experienced VR gamers advise always trying a gameplay demo to see what game suits you best before purchasing.
Below, you can find one of the games to try out with the Oculus Quest 2 lying down:
- The Room VR
- Phantom: Covert Ops
- Nature Treks VR
- Tetris Effect
All these are supported by Oculus Quest 2 and level up your game experience to the fullest.
Conclusion: What Do Gamers Say?
The VR height manipulation helps to have some light advantage in the gameplay; however, it’s still very challenging to play while being in a horizontal position.
For example, since you’re using the Oculus Quest 2 lying down, your character’s height lowers, which makes it difficult to reach certain items in the game. Additionally, although you can manipulate the height, you cannot control the game, as many games presume you can move around.
A gamer shared such an experience using Oculus Quest 2 in Beat Saber – a blocks game. Now while most of the blocks in an appropriate height, he had to make a few efforts to hit those a bit higher.
However, unless you’re specifically searching for an ultimate way to win a game while experiencing the Oculus Quest 2 lying down, the entire gameplay is still worth trying. It might feel weird in the beginning, but after a few tries, you’ll see that even in a horizontal position, VR is still a great experience!